The Press 53 Award for Short Fiction is awarded annually to an outstanding, unpublished short story collection. This contest is open to any writer, regardless of his or her publication history, provided the manuscript is written in English and the author lives in the United States or one of its territories.
The winner of this contest will receive publication by Press 53, a $1,000 cash advance and fifty copies of the book; all prizes will be awarded upon publication.
A reading fee of $30 must be paid for each entry. Reading fees are nonrefundable.
Dates for submission:
Enter September 1 through December 31, 2019
Announcement of winner:
The winner of the Press 53 Award for Short Fiction will be announced no later than May 1, 2020 to all entrants by way of Submittable email and on the Press 53 website, Facebook, Twitter, and via email to our subscribers. A list of finalists will also be announced at that time.
Confirmation of entry:
Confirmation of receipt of your entry will be sent via e-mail by Submittable immediately after submission.
Writers may submit multiple manuscripts. A separate reading fee is required for each entry.
Kevin Morgan Watson, Publisher and Editor in Chief of Press 53, will be the only judge for the competition; the manuscripts will be judged in a blind read solely on the strength of the stories as a collection, and the winning collection will be published by Press 53. The judge’s decision is final. Please note: due to the volume of entries, individual manuscript feedback or critique is not possible.
The competition is open to manuscripts written in the English language from writers 18 and older, regardless of publishing history, who live in the United States or one of its territories. Previously published stories may be (and probably should be) included in the manuscript.
Previously published manuscripts, including self-published collections available in print or as an ebook, are not eligible. Individuals who work for Press 53 or have published a collection of their own stories with Press 53 are not eligible to enter.
Manuscript Guidelines (please read carefully):
1. Manuscripts should contain a collection of short stories, which can include flash fiction, and may include one, and only one, novella. Total page count should be around 100 to no more than 250 pages in length, double-spaced in a standard 12-point font, such as Times New Roman, Garamond, etc. We do not favor one length over the other. We are only concerned with the quality of every story in the collection.
2. The author's name should not appear on the manuscript. We will find your contact information after the winner has been selected via Submittable.
3. Manuscript pages should be numbered.
4. Include a table of contents with page numbers.
5. An acknowledgments page may be included but is not necessary.
Any questions or concerns, other than technical issues with the submissions manager, please contact Editor@Press53.com.
Submissions for the Press 53 Award for Short Fiction will open September 1, 2019 and will close at midnight Eastern Standard Time on December 31, 2019. Press 53 reserves the right to extend the deadline.